Re: perl documentation to texinfo

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: perl documentation to texinfo
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 00:48:26 +0100

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 03:51:50PM -0800, Karl Berry wrote:
>     Maybe detect it when converting to texinfo and upping the section at
>     that time?
>
> Sounds fine to me.
>
>     Maybe providing a more general texinfo tree manipulation
>     function that fills the gaps in sectioning levels?
>
> How are you going to fill the gap?  If you mean synthesize an internal
> =head2 which doesn't produce any output, that sounds ok too.

I didn't think about that, I had the idea of changing the level of
the command.  But adding an empty sectioning command has merit too.
In fact, this would certainly be more in line with the intent of the
author.  It would be a texinfo command, though since we would be
in the texinfo tree.  Since the missing argument warning happens when
parsing, if the empty sectioning command is added later there won't even
be a warning.

The resulting document should be fine in makeinfo mode, maybe less
in texi2html compatibility mode, but let's not worry about that.

>     The next 2 issues should certainly be handled by the node protection
>     stuff
>
> Agreed.  But for now, how about either deleting or transliterating the
> problematic characters?  E.g., use _xxxx as we do for htmlxref.  We
> might not want to publish the result, but I would find it very useful to
> have the perlpods in Info for actual work :).

The simplest is certainly to remove the ( ).  Also :: should certainly be
removed for @ref too.

>     warning: @strong{Note...} produces a spurious
>
> For now, I think that one can just be ignored.  The spurious xref is
> harmless, as a practical matter.

Ok.

--
Pat