Re: [SPAM] Re: texinfo 5.00 -> 5.0 -> 4.13.90 html output

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [SPAM] Re: texinfo 5.00 -> 5.0 -> 4.13.90 html output
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 10:42:13 -0800

    I guess you called texi2any.pl?

Yes, because on those rare occasions when I'm actually tinkering with
the source, it's way more convenient to modify the source file and
simply run the test, and not worry about the derived scripts.

(I actually think we should document the recommended way(s) to run
texi2any from development, since it's pretty non-obvious.)

    texi2any.pl do not have the configure variables substituted.

Right, I know.

    I can't see a simple way way to synchronize texi2any.pl with
    configure.ac number.

Sure there is.  We do it by hand :).  I already update the version
number in multiple places for each release and prerelease.  The texi2dvi
script is one example, precisely because I don't want to incur the pain
of generating a substituted version.

    I can hardcode something else,

I think what we should hardcode right now is "4.13.90" :).

    it seems to me that generating the texinfo manuals (especially the
    Info outputs) with the cpan version number in header is wrong, it
    should indeed be the configure.ac number.

Good.  We agree.  The Texinfo version number included in the Info/other
output files should be the number given in configure.ac.  Whether it
actually comes from configure.ac or is maintained by hand.

    I attach a possible patch for doc/Makefile.am that does what I propose
    above.  Would that be sufficient?

I think that change is good (please install it), but doesn't address the
question of output generated from the dev source.

Thanks,