Re: Unicode::EastAsianWidth::InFullwidth

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: Unicode::EastAsianWidth::InFullwidth
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 12:40:55 +0200

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 11:56:39PM +0000, Karl Berry wrote:
> Patrice,
>
> I was attempting to debug the obscure install-info test failure on AIX,
> and came across a failure with Perl when attempting to build
> texinfo(.info) during the build:
>
>   Can't find Unicode property definition
>   "Unicode::EastAsianWidth::InFullwidth" at
>   ../tp/Texinfo/Convert/Paragraph.pm line 330.
>
> Line 330 is:
>    if ($text =~ s/^(\s+)//) {

It in fact refers to the elsif at line 386
    } elsif ($text =~ s/^(\p{Unicode::EastAsianWidth::InFullwidth})//) {

> The Perl on this machine is ancient, 5.8.0.  And perhaps it is
> incompletely installed, I'm not sure.  And it's a proprietary system
> anyway.  But still, I wondered if you saw something obvious to try.

I have read a bit the perl 5.8.0 doc I found on the web, and \p is
present.  Also I looked a bit more at Unicode::EastAsianWidth and
I checked that the 2003 version do not look functionally different from
the version we use.

So, I have basically no clue.  5.8 is now at 5.8.9, so maybe this is
simply a bug?  Maybe you could try to remove the
Unicode::EastAsianWidth:: prefix and see if it still errors out?
It works in my tests -- one could even consider that it is better style.

--
Pat