Re: TRAMP User Manual problems with Texinfo 5.0

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: TRAMP User Manual problems with Texinfo 5.0
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 22:50:43 GMT

Hi Patrice,

    > The issue that will remain will be the use of non alphanumeric characters
    > in @set and @clear.  Should we change what is specified in the manual?

As I recall (?), we made that warning because non-alphabetic characters
in @set names cause errors in TeX in some cases -- nested environments
or some such, I admit I don't have an example at hand -- so we were
trying to help Texinfo authors write more portable documents.

I think it's insane to use @set names that include characters like % and $,
but apparently sanity was not a requirement when writing tramp.texi,
so fine.  Paying the price for that insane-in-itself @macro implementation.

So I suppose we can forget about the warning.  Go ahead and drop it as
far as I'm concerned.