Re: problematic node name characters

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: problematic node name characters
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 10:53:35 +0200

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 10:53:12PM +0000, Karl Berry wrote:
> Patrice,
>
> Here are my thoughts on Glenn's re-request.
>
> 1) Can you devise a way to warn about the problematic characters in node
> names only when they actually cause a problem?  (I could not say exactly
> when that is without a lot of research, but maybe the code already
> knows, implicitly?)

The code does not know, but once you have the formatted node name, some
regexp could catch problematic node names.

> 2) For Info output, the warning could be enabled by default.

That is simply done, by doing the warning in the Info converter and not
in the parser.

> 3) There could be an option to turn off that particular warning, so
> people who don't want to change their documents don't have to.

Maybe this could be a customization variable?  That way we can remove it
later more easily than a command line option.

> 5) For other forms of output, no warning.  Then people who don't use
> Info aren't affected.

That's ok, as said for 2).

> I don't foresee us designing and implementing the
> arbitrary-chars-in-node-names-and-elsewhere feature any time soon.

Maybe.

--
Pat