Re: "HTML translation" node of manual

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: "HTML translation" node of manual
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 22:15:47 GMT

    List item 1: are HTML 3.2 tables different from HTML 4 tables?

Yes.  I certainly don't remember all the details any more, but I think
many HTML4 <table> attributes did not exist in 3.2.  Though it hardly
matters any more; I suspect the number of users limited to html 3.2
is approximately zero.

    List items 2, 3 and 5: I'm not sure how these are "exceptions to HTML
    4", which I interpret as places where HTML 4 is not used. It would
    make more sense if it was said they are exceptions to HTML 3.2.

You're right, I mis-wrote the update.  The idea was that we try to be
compatible with earlier standards (namely 3.2), and these are known
exceptions to that.  I'll tweak the text.

Thanks,