"HTML translation" node of manual

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: "HTML translation" node of manual
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 10:38:42 +0000

The part in the "HTML translation" node of the manual where it is
talking about the standards that the output meets doesn't make sense
in some areas:

-----------------------
First, the HTML generated by 'makeinfo' is standard HTML 4.  It also
tries to be as compatible as possible with earlier standards (e.g.,
HTML 2.0, RFC-1866).  Thus, please report output from an error-free run
of 'makeinfo' which has practical browser portability problems as a bug
(*note Reporting Bugs::).

  Some known exceptions to HTML 4 (using '--init-file=html32.pm'
produces strict HTML 3.2 output; *note Invoking texi2any::):

  1. HTML 3.2 tables are generated for the '@multitable' command (*note
     Multi-column Tables::), but they should degrade reasonably in
     browsers without table support.

  2. The HTML 4 'lang' attribute on the '<html>' attribute is used.

  3. Entities that are not in the HTML 3.2 standard are also used.

  4. CSS is used (*note HTML CSS::).

  5. A few HTML 4 elements are used: 'thead', 'abbr', 'acronym'.

List item 1: are HTML 3.2 tables different from HTML 4 tables?

List items 2, 3 and 5: I'm not sure how these are "exceptions to HTML
4", which I interpret as places where HTML 4 is not used. It would
make more sense if it was said they are exceptions to HTML 3.2.