Re: awk texindex switch

From: arnold
Subject: Re: awk texindex switch
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2015 03:05:57 -0700

Hi Eli.

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> No offense, but why is that a good idea?  What do we gain?

The awk version works better than the C version and is more maintainable.
You can index '{' and '}', which you couldn't before.  It also sorts
things in a more reasonable way.  (And it's a cool awk program written
using literate programming, which makes it doubly cool. Of course, I
am somewhat biased. :-)

> Sorry, I don't really understand which part you'd like feedback for.
> If it's about symlinks, then yes, using those on Windows is not a very
> good idea, as it brings all kinds of inconveniences.

I believe Karl is letting the list know that going forward they need
to use the awk version while working on Texinfo.

> If it's about having to invoke texindex.awk via a shell script, then
> we should provide a batch file to do the same on Windows, similar to
> what I submitted to Groff lately.

I think this is the main point where Karl is requesting your input.

HTH,

Arnold