Re: [Texmacs-dev] [Announce] nogencc-0.8

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] [Announce] nogencc-0.8
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 11:50:19 +0200 (MET DST)

> > 1. I try to compile the nogencc distribution on some other platforms
> >    and let you fix possible problems.
>
> Ok... Actually I sadly saw some configuration logic hard-coded in
> gendeps. I tried to backport some obvious things to the Makefile, but I
> think that things will break. I would really like to be able to do the
> tests myself. Maybe Savannah provides a compile farm?

Please try to find such a farm. I also would like to know one...

> > 2. Sync with TeXmacs-1.0.0.5 and freeze the C++ code:
> >    I will not make any changes in the C++ code until
> >    the nogencc problem has been solved.
>
> I will care about merging. I do the merging with a very partially
> converted version, to minimize the delta between my version and the old
> official version. That way, the merging is easier. Moreover, if something
> breaks, I will be able to fix it faster if I do the merging myself.
>
> Anyway I already look at the diffs of new versions of TeXmacs, so that is
> not a big additional expense of time for me.

There should not be much changes in the code to come,
because I really should stop working on TeXmacs for a while.

> > 3. I make a complete diff (I do not trust automatic rewriting) and
> >    study all differences. If I find non trivial modifications in
> >    the code, then I will ask you to fix these.
>
> At this point, automatic rewriting demonstrably performs only trivial
> changes. I am willing to document it or develop helper tools so you
> can concentrate on changes I made by hand.

Maybe later. I will look at the real diffs in any case.
One can never be cautious enough.

> > 4. In the meantime you should adapt TeXmacs-misc too;
> >    I will again make a complete diff for this too.
>
> TeXmacs-misc do not seem to depend on gencc. I do understand what you
> want me to do.

You mean that you don't understand or that you do understand?
TeXmacs-misc does use gencc in order to be compiled.
It uses a separate repository, because I wanted it to be
completely separated from the main distribution.
But there are several programs in it which I use quite often.

> > 5. Validate nogencc in TeXmacs-1.0.0.6 or
> >    temporarily invalidate nogencc if there are too many problems.
> >
> > 6. We will wait a few weeks/months for feedback on possible problems.
> >    When I will be sufficiently confident that the change did not
> >    break anything, then we will rediscuss the other changes that
> >    you proposed.
>
> Ok, so I will investigate the static linking issue and start working on
> the transformations on top of the nogencc branch. Now that I am confident
> in the stability of the code, I will keep it in sync with the official
> version.

I think that it should not be hard to sync up from now on,
because there will be very little changes in the C++ code.