Re: [Texmacs-dev] Using STL

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Using STL
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 11:23:35 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 14 May 2002, David Allouche wrote:

> I am working out the first bits of the transformation system.
>
> I wanted to notify you that I will use STL containers wherever I think it
> is appropriate. At the moment I am in need for a sorted associative
> container and I am not willing to reinvent one while C++ already provides
> this.

OK, I now see what that is. Please do not use STL containers for the moment.
One day, we may see whether we should move to STL containers, but not now.
In fact, I don't see which STL containers should be useful now anyway;
we have arrays, lists and hashtables. We will not need much else.

I also would like you to avoid using too many new templated classes
in your program, because this hugely increases the size of the executable.
So please use the existing classes, like tree, array<int>,
hashmap<string,tree> etc. whenever possible.

Please keep in touch with me about the main design structure,
which has to be kept both elegant and efficient.