[Texmacs-dev] Philosophy document

From: Álvaro Tejero Cantero
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Philosophy document
Date: 25 May 2002 21:46:45 +0200

Hello,

>From daily usage and surprise, and from the impressions gathered in
reading user input, I sincerely miss a "philosophy statement" for
TeXmacs. I guess we would all better understand the editor's behaviour
if such a document existed.

In particular, there are some design choices such as those concerning
visual cursor motion, environment creation instead of toggling the
current when selecting a different environment, and no-toggle behaviour
of line markup such as strong or emphasis which I presume obey to some
assumptions which would have their place in the proposed document.

I would do it myself if I knew the reasons behind these choices and/or
if they are subject to change.

So... the only thing I can do here is to support the writing of a short
document on this topic.

Best, álvaro.

PS. The much improved LaTeX filter will allow the geography documents in
alqua to be incorporated directly in TeXmacs format (this summer?), as
opposed to legacy formats. Thanks, Joris.

PS2. The LyX project has copied from TeXmacs its ability to generate
\rightarrow from ->, etc. in its CVS. I guess they will make the default
keybindings compatible with those of TeXmacs.

PS3. Three, unrelated questions which I do not have time to post in the
wiki right now: 1) it seems it is impossible to get TeXmacs to do the
long dash (three dashes). 2) shift+cursor movement other than arrows
doesn't work (i.e.: shift + Ctrl-e). is this intended?. 3) I have
noticed that TeXmacs uses the user setting for hyphenation when
printing... wouldn't it be more reasonable if it delivered the document
with professional hyphenation _always_?

--
álvaro.tejero.cantero
alqua.com, la red en estudio