Re: [Texmacs-dev] Philosophy document

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Philosophy document
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 18:49:57 +0200

On Sunday 26 May 2002 20:21, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> > 2) shift+cursor movement other than arrows
> > doesn't work (i.e.: shift + Ctrl-e). is this intended?.
>
> Yes, Ctrl-e does not exist for M$.

What is the relation with Microsoft here?

> > 3) I have
> > noticed that TeXmacs uses the user setting for hyphenation when
> > printing... wouldn't it be more reasonable if it delivered the
> > document with professional hyphenation _always_?
>
> I want to do this as soon as the speed of the professional hyphenation
> algorithm has been improved. I don't know when.

I do not think that is a good idea. Printing should not quietly change
the typesetting in ways wich could change the page layout.

I think professional line breaking should indeed be the default (once it
is fast enough), and I also think it should be possible to specify
different settings for editing and printing (with an appropriately big
red light to make it clear that WYSIWYGness is *not* to be
expected).

If we want to make TeXmacs as usable as possible we must absolutely avoid
drifting away from a "WYSIWYG by default" credo.
--

                                  -- David --