Re: [Texmacs-dev] Small misalign on table export (and some other remarks

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Small misalign on table export (and some other remarks). (fwd)
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 15:04:54 +0200

On Tuesday 28 May 2002 11:59, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback Alvaro.
> It may be best to post messages of this kind to texmacs-dev.
> At the moment I do not have time for a detailed reply;
> I will do that later.

Environment boxing is definitely great. Actually that is the kind of
thing which makes you wonder "why it has not been done before?"

> (what about not allowing one to enter
> empty space or empty lines with spacebar and return, but with
> alt-spacebar and alt-enter, or something more difficult? I remember you
> agreed this could foster structured edition).
> Regarding the boxing feature... will the color of the box be
> customizable?. Now that I think of it... color could be used like in
> math/normal mode, to convey structure as well.

In most contexts (that is, almost any context but verbatim and prog, and
maybe specially marked session types) it should be made harder to use
multiple spaces, and use the freed keybindings for common structured
operations.

For example:

  space      : insert space
  space space: move out of environment (could be nice for all inline
               environments)

  return       : new paragraph
  return return: new block environment of the same type as the innermost
                 block environment we are in (e.g. theorem, section)

Of course, the inserted space must be removed if a double-hit keybinding
is triggered afterward.

> ps. lyx1.2.0 is going to come out one day or another; we should be able
> to draw away from it as much attention in the forums as they managed to
> do with TeXmacs ;).

Please keep us posted about that, we will go and troll them to death! :-)
--

                                  -- David --