[Texmacs-dev] Re: TeXmacs

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Re: TeXmacs
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 16:30:21 +0200 (MET DST)

On 6 Jul 2002, Daniel Skarda wrote:

>   few days ago I tried TeXmacs 1.0.0.7 from Debian distribution and I was very
> impressed. Since then I am happy TeXmacs user (if there is list of "success
> stories", you can add my name there :-)

Thanks.

>   I have few comments on TeXmacs:
>
>   TeXmacs ignores `Super' modifier. Sometime ago I wrote Czech keyboard
> configuration files for XKB. It utilises unused 'Super' modifier to add
> accents
> without need of "dead key" (for example Super-a -> \'a, Super->c -> \v{c}) All
> my beloved applications (various Gtk+ applications, rxvt) respect my XKB setup
> or can be taught to use it (Emacs). Unfortunately TeXmacs ignores my Super
> key :-(

We plan to make some major modifications soon in the way that TeXmacs
deals with the keyboard. In particular, on my keyboard, the microsoft
key will be mapped to Meta, the menu key to Hyper and caps-lock to Super.
In particular, you should be able to do what you want,
although you probably have to write your own scheme initialization file.

>   I noticed that C-a and C-e works different in TeXmacs and Emacs (Emacs
> fanatic
> is my second name :-) In Emacs it means beginning of line, but TeXmacs
> interprets it "beginning of paragraph". I understand that it is caused by
> "soft"
> end of lines and the way how TeXmacs breaks paragraphs into lines - but for
> Emacs user it is quite confusing.

We also plan to increase the number of ways in which you can move
the cursor. We mainly plan to add structural cursor movement routines,
but your comment suggests that we need to add at least two graphical
cursor movement actions too.

David: can you add this to the wish-list?

>   Is it possible to write own commands which examine the content of buffer?
> (like backward-word, forward-word and so on). Also numeric arguments would be
> helpful (C-u). And describe-key and describe-function and... :-)

Yes, please look at Help->scheme. Notice however, that I plan to make
many changes in the scheme interface in the next six months or so.
Nevertheless, I recommend you to play a bit with it. Maybe you will
have some useful suggestions...

>   Thank you very much for TeXmacs,

Thanks for your nice reaction,

Joris