Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Problem

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Problem
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 20:05:30 +0200

On Thursday 11 July 2002 13:24, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Claire Sausset wrote:
> > the version of TeXmacs is 1.0
> > the environment variables are set as they should be.
> > i tried to compile a static version of TeXmacs
> > but there was the same problem that is to say when i want to run
> > texmacs &, i have this message :
> >  texmacs.bin: Cannot find ELF
>
> I never saw this bug before; maybe some other TeXmacs developer
> in the CC with better knowledge of SUN Solaris has an idea?

You can have a look here:
http://www.science.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2/Q6.24.html

In a nutshell "In Solaris 2.x, static linking is not supported for any
of the system libraries".

Generally it does not seem to be a good idea to use static linking on
Solaris.

You may also have a look at this:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/bug-binutils/2001-q3/msg00038.html

Maybe running "strip texmacs.bin" on the installed binary after the
installation is complete would fix it...

I am no Solaris expert... I just did a bit of Googling and it seems
that problem is well known. I hope you will be able to fix it and
enjoy TeXmacs.

--

                                  -- David --