Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: News and questions

From: Marciano Siniscalchi
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: News and questions
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 12:45:07 -0400

I hate licensing discussions and (especially) flame wars, but we should probably consider the following.

Trolltech explicitly acknowledges that Qt/X11 may be compiled to run under Win32:

http://www.trolltech.com/developer/platforms/xlib-on-windows.html

Indeed the KDE-on-Cygwin project apparently got Qt3 working under Cygwin/Xfree. Now, Qt/X11 is avalable under the GPL *on Unix*. Should the fact that Trolltech recognizes the possibility of running Qt/X11 under Win32 as an indication that they also allow it to be licensed under the GPL?

This is not clear. I think it would be easiest to just ask them. Notice that, if the answer is affirmative, the following situation would ensue. TeXmacs would be available:

* on Linux, under the GPL
* on Win32 under the GPL, but using the Cygwin/Xfree layer
  (which makes things less convenient and probably slower, but still!)
* on Win32 under a commercial license. This might actually be good for funding
  the project!

As an aside, it would be good to patch TeXmacs so that it can use a native TeX installation (e.g. miktex) under Win32. This should not be too hard. I considered doing it when I got TeXmacs to compile under Cygwin, but I was too lazy then...

Marciano Siniscalchi Department of Economics, 309 Fisher Hall
tel: (609) 258-4024  Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544-1021
fax: (609) 258-6419  http://www.princeton.edu/~marciano