[Texmacs-dev] Double licensing or exceptional clauses

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Double licensing or exceptional clauses
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 09:25:24 +0200 (MET DST)

I still had some further thoughts about double licensing
or exceptional clauses in the license.

We might add an exception which permits the copyright holders
of TeXmacs to distribute or sell binary versions of TeXmacs
when this is necessary to build TeXmacs on a given platform.
The end-user has the right to copy and/or redistribute
these binaries freely or for a fee.

The fact that only the copyright holders are granted
the right to build such binary distributions gives
us the strategic advantage that we may suppress
the exceptional clause in cases when it is no longer needed.
Also, if we decide to commercialize a new version,
at least one person has to buy it if he wants to redistribute it.
Nevertheless, the end-user looses none of his freedoms.