Re: [Texmacs-dev] Double licensing or exceptional clauses

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Double licensing or exceptional clauses
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 15:29:20 +0200

On Sat, Jul 27, 2002 at 09:15:59PM +0200, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Jul 2002, David Allouche wrote:
>
> > Bitmaps are enough for the symbol menus.
>
> Yes, but I do not only care about symbol menus as I said.
>
> > > I also want to keep the possibility open to render formulas and
> > > other material in the menus. Think of a menu of frequently used
> > > formulas selected by the user (a wish). Also, a good GUI should
> > > allow me to do this ANYWAY.
> >
> > Agreed. Pixmaps menu items should be enough to do this.
>
> I don't care about *what should be enough* (especially since this is
> not enough in my opinion), but about what *a modern GUI should provide*.
> Can you give me one good reason why the user should not be able
> to determine the paint policy of a menu item?

Yes, the font of the menus is a system wide settings everywhere but on
Unix, letting TeXmacs use a different setting by default is bad.

Using TeX fonts where it is required is not a problem, but using
TeXmacs own fonts everywhere is wrong.

> > And about aesthetic superiority, I recognize that antialiased CM fonts
> > are nice to see, but I am absolutely not convinced that they are more
> > readable (read ergonomic) than, say, Arial on Win32, Chicago on MacOS
> > Classic, or Charcoal on MacOS X.
>
> You may use ecss too. This will become part of the Settings menu.

That is not the point.

> > BTW, do not forget that all modern GUI systems already provide
> > antialiased menus as a standard feature.
>
> Yes, but I do not only care about that.
>
> I WANT MY OWN REPAINT POLICY FOR MENU ENTRIES!
> WHY SHOULD THAT BE SO FUCKING HARD?

I make it hard because what you want to do is wrong.

But if you prefer to scream, be rude and ignore what I have to say,
ok. However I am very unsure that attitude is going to take us
anywhere.

--

                             -- David --