Re: [Texmacs-dev] Why is <code> indented by default?

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Why is <code> indented by default?
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 02:12:53 +0200

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 10:39:17PM +0200, Felix Breuer wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Why is the (style of the) <code> environment defined in such a way that
> the first line is indented in Articles, Books etc.? Only in the generic
> document style, this behaviour is overriden. Why not change
> packages/standard/std-markup.ts from
>
> <assign|code|...<with|font family|tt|language|verbatim|<arg|body>>>>>

> <assign|code|...<with|font family|tt|language|verbatim|first
> indentation|0fn|<arg|body>>>>>
>
> ?

That is an interesting proposal, but...

When I look at a code fragment, I expect soft breaks to be clearly
visible. If only because in many programming languages the newline
character is a special delimiter...

So I think it is really important to have different indentation for
paragraphs and soft lines.

Well... maybe when the DECORATE_LINES element is implemented, we
should implement your proposal and insert a <longhookleftarrow> at the
end of hyphenated lines in code elements...

--
David Allouche         | GNU TeXmacs -- Writing is a pleasure
Free software engineer |    http://www.texmacs.org