Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Note for translators of the documentation

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Note for translators of the documentation
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 11:30:48 +0200 (MET DST)

> > You should *never* translate menus by hand;
>
> Do you mean I may not change anything in the text when it refers to a
> menu, i.e:
>
> Paragraph->Number of columns
>
> should not be changed, even though this menu does not exist?

Right; you never edit the entries of menu tags in *translations*.
Of course, if a menu just does not happen to exist (anymore),
then this has to be correct in the original English documentation;
if you use the latest version of TeXmacs, then you may make such minor
corrections yourself without notification.

> which is in complete contradiction with:
>
> > automatic translation ensures that the translations are exactly
> > the same as the ones which the user sees in the interface.
>
> Not exactly wysiwyg, eh?

Well, you still get what you see when printing out :^)
No, this is just to keep the translations matching with
the translations of the interface (you should be happy;
you have less to translate too :^)

> On the other hand, when I have a link not yet hidden, i.e.:
>
> Printing documents (printing, man-print.en.tm)
>
> may I change it (for French) to:
>
> Impression de documents (impression, man-print.fr.tm)
>
> or just:
>
> Impression de documents (printing, man-print.fr.tm)

That is a good question. In this case, I prefer you to do the translation.
Indeed, the corresponding translations may be missing in the interface,
and it will be possible to generate the menus from the docs anyway.