Re: [Texmacs-dev] Texmacs 10.1.20 from Fink

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Texmacs 10.1.20 from Fink
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 11:10:29 +0100 (MET)

> > I see. So the file exists (?) at two places,
> > http://www.gnu.org/software/texmacs-doc/images/start.png
> > and /Users/martinc/.TeXmacs/doc/images/screenshots/start.png
> > and texmacs mixes the two.
> > BTW, when I click on
> > http://www.gnu.org/software/texmacs-doc/images/start.png, my browser
> > says file not found.
>
> If you try  http://www.gnu.org/software/texmacs-doc/images/ you'll have
> a better understanding of what happens: Forbidden. the same with
> texmacs-doc. So you cannot access to the file.
>
> Another point I don't like too much is that apparently texmacs wrote
> some files in my home directory not even hidden but set to 0k: CWD,
> PORT, PWD, RETR, SYST, TYPE. Maybe following the crash or the attempt
> to update the documentation from the online help.

TeXmacs does not do this kind of things; maybe wget does.

> >> How does it get the idea to prepend http://www.gnu.org/ to the path?
> In the file, there is a such a link:
>
>   <expand|big-figure|<apply|screenshot|start.png>|Window which appears
> when
>    starting TeXmacs up.>
>
> The problem is that the URL given as reference is whichever you give as
> CDPATH in your home directory + the URL where the file
> tut-startup.en.tm + the URL to the image.
>
> So it resolves as what you see.
>
> On my computer, I let Fink do the job. That means I have not define by
> myself a path for texmacs. So it resolves as what I told you.
>
> Anyway, the result is the same. No file to display.

At the moment, the icons and screenshots are not correctly searched on the web.
If you download all documentation to your local disk (Help -> Online help ->
Update from web), then everything should be fine. This has been corrected
for the next version too.