Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Release 18 or 20?

From: Martin Costabel
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Release 18 or 20?
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 20:26:15 +0100

Joris van der Hoeven wrote:

>Did someone move away the 10.0.0.18-1 and 10.0.0.20-1 texmacs
>releases=20=
>
>from the ftp site?

Yes, me; they moved to "old-targz" instead of "targz".

>If so, could someone put the 10.0.0.20-1 again, so that Fink users=20
>could download it?

Done, but they will be renamed later.
It is better to be careful with making this types of links.

Fink does not have its own source repository. Its package descriptions point to the URLs of the sources on the net. So it is quite natural that when the sources get moved, there is a brief period during which fink's automatic download-and-compile procedure will not work. Usually this gets fixed rather quickly once the maintainer is alerted. During the transition period, the user can download the source manually from wherever it has moved to.

Fink now even has a FAQ entry on this subject, FAQ 3.24.

In the case at hand, moving the original sources back to where they were before was actually not the good solution. Normally I would change the package descriptions in CVS now that I have been alerted by Michèle, but I cannot do this, because the sources are now *only* in targz and not in old-targz.

So while this works now for Michèle, it will again break as soon as Joris moves them definitely into old-targz, unless someone notifies me again and I am available to make the change.

--
Martin