[Texmacs-dev] Re: Documentation translation ended (?)

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Documentation translation ended (?)
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 19:03:31 +0100 (MET)

> Is something like that correct:
> © 1988-2002 par Joris van der Hoeven, Michèle Garoche (traduction)
> though it may be strange to have the same range of years. What do you
> think of it?

No, you have the tmdoc-copyright tag which takes as many arguments
as there are copyright holders. You just should add your name as
an argument.

> 1 - There are some typos in it. I can correct them
> 2 - I can also add the strings which are missing
> 3 - I can add others strings so that the reference to the menu in the
> text be, so to speak, more Frenchy.

Yes, this is all OK, although there should be no strings missing
(unless they are not in english-new.scm; if you find missing entries
in english-new, then you may add them of course).

> When this three steps are done, they will be no more translated menu
> markups in the documentation.

Right.

> 4 - But all of this does not change the menus, which are sometimes pure
> English, sometimes bad French. I've poked around into the sources, but
> though I've already found where they are defined, I've not discover on
> which base they are translated and I cannot spend days in checking the
> whole source tree, not to mention that probably you don't want me to
> change the sources.

You might make up a list of things which seem strange to you and
send that to me.

> Maybe the solution is: as I check all the doc files for menu markups, I
> concurrently change the english-french.scm file, when finished send it
> to you together with a list of changes, additions, modifications, and
> the context where they are to be applied so that you can change the
> menus accordingly. When this is done, we have  the documentation and
> the menus in correspondance, all pure French, and god I'll happy to see
> that :-)

OK.

> > TeXmacs markup (appearing in green
> > typewriter) should not be translated either (the translated words
> > are not understood by TeXmacs).
> Ok, as I should check all the files, that's no problem. I'll change
> them and add a French explanation.

I can give you a list of the places where I saw this.
We are still proof reading, so I will send that along
with all other remarks.

> 5 - I'd like to know if there is a macro or so in Texmacs, so that I
> can search the whole French documentation tree for a string or for a
> link or to add something particular at a defined place. Examples of use :

Unfortunately not. I actually migrated to the new documentation scheme
to make this possible in the future. Nevertheless, you can use
the "grep" command from Unix in order to find all files where
a given string appears and "C-s" inside each file.

> - finding out all the files linked to a particular file (to check I
> don't miss any link, I may have translated a file and omit to link the
> master to the French translation for example). Maybe there is a tool to
> get the doc tree?
> - adding copyright automatically to French file
> - searching automatically the green markups in French files
> - searching automatically the reference to menus.
> - searching for some other strings I know I should change.

Well, you are perfectly right and I could add many more other
applications. But we need someone to implement this :^)

In fact, this could be done quite easily in Scheme by a hacker:
it suffices to design a search engine which searches for a pattern
in a document and to go through the whole documentation or
all accessible documentation from a given file.
One may then build up a new document with the result of
the search and hyperlinks to the documents which matched the search.

> I don't mean I'll make the modifications for green and menu markups
> this way, but it would be a good way to check a posteriori that I don't
> miss anything.

Absolutely; in fact, you would not be able to do this automatically
anyway, because this involves human translations. Nevertheless,
we do have a need for a global replace algorithm based on patterns.
Together with the search engine, this will enable us to do lots
of operations on documents or collections of documents.
I emphasize that this is a good job for hackers,
because it mostly involves scheme programming.