[Texmacs-dev] RE: noweb, pamphlets, and TeXmacs

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] RE: noweb, pamphlets, and TeXmacs
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 14:05:01 -0500

Tim,

Thanks for the treatise on noweb etc.

On Saturday, November 23, 2002 12:18 PM
address@hidden wrote:

> RE: NOWEB CHANGES
>
> Currently noweb needs to expand the chunk definition syntax
> to handle some more general scheme such as a URL. We need to
> be able to extract code chunks from other pamphlets so that
> you can have the following situation:
>
> pamphlet A:  (the definition document)
>     <<foo>>=
>
> pamphlet B:  (the using document)
>     <<pamphlet:/path/A#foo>>

Sounds cool to me! Hypercode - perhaps the ultimate form
of open source. Maybe someone's thought of this before?

I especially like the idea of using code that is contained
within its own (presumably complete) documentation.

> It would be useful if this could happen for text blocks
> also so that generally useful descriptions could be
> inserted into multiple pamphlets. Since the text blocks
> currently have no label this becomes problematic. We need
> to develop text labels so we can follow a uniform scheme.
> Multiple text blocks containing essentially the same
> information already exist in the system. This needs to be
> fixed.

Why not just forget what is now the text part and
simply have at least two pre-defined roots, one
for code and one for documentation? Then tangle does
both jobs.

Regards,
Bill Page.