[Texmacs-dev] Re: TeXmacs on Cygwin finally runs - How can I contribute

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Re: TeXmacs on Cygwin finally runs - How can I contribute in the further development?
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 11:44:46 +0100 (MET)

> >> That is an old topic. Generally, I think it is good to spend time to
> >> improve transparence and horizontal communication, but you seem to
> >> prefer vertical communication.
>
> >I am starting to get really irritated by this type of insinuations.
> >I have made a big effort to communicitate my ideas on future development
> >on this mailing list. Now I am not going to summarize my ideas in thousand
> >different ways for every potential type of user or developer. If you want
> >to do so, then nobody withholds you from that; the information is
> >available in the mailing list archives.
>
> I do not know really much about the free software community, and I do
> not know much about the TeXmacs community. It seems to me, that with
> free software is done a great job, and this is especially true for
> TeXmacs, like the lot of "I'm really enthusiastic about the
> program ... " messages of newbies show.
>
> I'm a little bemused that in such communities there is often a
> tendency of discussions to run into aggression. Maybe this is because
> of the amount of work that done by developers.
>
> As far as I see, David and Joris are the most active people in the
> development of the program. So I think that any kind of annoyance
> between them is really counterproductive.
>
> I don't feel in the position to give anyone an advice. But I wanted to
> say that is a pity if argument about minor things (compared to the TeXmscs
> project!) is done in that way.

I agree with you. In fact, it is not surprising that there are
frictions from time to time in any community where people work together.
Now griefs can either be discussed in private emails or on public
mailing lists. I hope that David will agree that private emails are
far better for this and act likewise in the future. As a general rule
I think that direct discussions can be good, but that one should always
avoid to make them personal.

I also hope that all this does not frighten you;
in fact, David just has to blow of steam from time to time,
but in average we get well along together.
So there is no reason to be intimidated :^)