Re: [Texmacs-dev] GCC 3.2 status update

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] GCC 3.2 status update
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 17:47:13 +0100

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 04:45:47PM +0100, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:

> > The code might violate the conversion rules at some other places. In
> > the pre-nogencc implementation of the event classes, there was such an
> > illegal cast (which I removed because nogencc caused it to break). A
> > good way to look for those problems would be to look for C-style casts
> > (and replace them by modern casting techniques). I had a quick look at
> > the code using a regex like ') *[(a-z_A-Z]' (not sure) but I found
> > nothing incriminating. Maybe someone else should review that too.
>
> The problem with "modern casting techniques" may be that they require
> an additional time overhead. In any case, I still have the impression that
> my casts are OK, since I cast to a pointer of the type *I know*
> it should have.

When I talk of "moder casting techniques" I am talking of static_cast
(mostly) and reinterpret_cast (if really needed) which perform purely
static casts and have NO performance overhead compared to C. They are
just more obvious and safer w.r.t. the allowed conversions.

What does have a time overhead it dynamic_cast, which anyway requires
RTTI information which is not part of the C++ dialect used in TeXmacs.
TeXmacs should compile with --no-rtti. That option is just disabled
because it caused link to fail on some obscure platform.

Too bad I had not written down exactly which... that should not happen
again if I can spare the time to maintain the changelog and you answer
the questions I ask you to make it complete.

--
David Allouche         | GNU TeXmacs -- Writing is a pleasure
Free software engineer |    http://www.texmacs.org