[Texmacs-dev] DRD's and further name changes

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] DRD's and further name changes
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:29:33 +0100 (MET)

Hi,

>From now on, the DRD system has been officially connected to
the core of the TeXmacs/Guile/Scheme extension language.
I again changed some of the naming conventions.
In TeXmacs-1.0.1.6, the new names will be

  tm-define             ; function definition
  tm-macro              ; macro definition (upcoming)
  tm-routine            ; as tm-define with environment (upcoming)
  tm-action             ; as tm-routine, of type (->) (upcoming)
  tm-properties         ; add properties a posteriori (upcoming)

  kbd-map               ; keyboard mapping
  kbd-wildcard          ; keyboard wildcards

  menu-set              ; define a menu
  menu-append           ; append to a menu

  drd-rules             ; define DRD-rules
  drd-group             ; define a DRD-group
  drd-table             ; define a DRD-table
  drd-dispatcher        ; define a DRD-dispatcher (upcoming)
  drd-in?               ; membership test for DRD-groups
  drd-ref               ; DRD-table lookup
  drd-dispatch          ; dispatch using DRD-dispatcher (upcoming)

  ==                    ; synonym for equal?
  match?                ; match a regular tree expression
  define-grammer        ; define regular expression grammar

>From now on, all DRD-predicates should be postfixed by %,
so that they will not be mixed up with usual predicates.

I still did not figure out the precise relationship between
modules (upcoming) and the DRD-system (see previous email).
Similarly, the relationship with keyboard shortcuts and
menus is not yet clear to me. It seems that DRD-predicates
should replace the current predicates for keyboard shortcuts
(This would also allow us to test implication between
such predicates.) On the other hand, it seems that
the DRD-mechanism cannot be used for menus without precautions.
The point is that DRD's should only define rules and *never*
redefine or erase rule (this allows fast hash-table lookup).
In other words, one may not redefine menus or append to menus
using the DRD mechanism. But there might be a workaround...

<Joris>