Re: [Texmacs-dev] DRDs, converters, LaTeX

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] DRDs, converters, LaTeX
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 01:56:21 +0200

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 05:49:16PM -0400, Leo wrote:
> On Wednesday May 07 2003 06:46, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> > Hi,
> > [...snip...]
> >
> > Unfortunately, Guile is a *very bad* Scheme implementation,
> > so the use of DRDs is slow.
>
> I second your opinion that guile is one of the worst
> scheme implementations available.
> That said, do you plan "to change the horse" before it is too late.

It is planned. But there is such a vast amount of very important
things to do ASAP...

Actually, the Scheme glue is getting quite clean and will get cleaner
as the c++ reorganization progress, so it should not be a massive
undertaking.

I think the best candidate a.t.m. is MzScheme. Help welcome.

Eventually, it should be possible to choose the Scheme engine at
runtime. But any hack is welcome for the moment since that is probably
going to take some time to stabilize.

> TeXmacs is becoming dependent on more and more guile specific constructs
> like guile module system which makes porting effort ever harder??

The module system stuff is well encapsulated in one module which
provides macros with well defined semantics. That is not really going
to be a big porting problem.

Anyway, the line for guile extensions has been set to what is used
now. Another things which has just been used is "disjoint types" (i.e.
records), but any serious guile implementation provide them.

So, no more guile specific features should go in.

--
                                                            -- ddaa