Re: [Texmacs-dev] Under/Overbrace help, please !

From: Nix N. Nix
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Under/Overbrace help, please !
Date: 08 May 2003 15:15:49 -0600

On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 13:00, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> > However, if we use the \bracext (txexa#32) character, as LaTeX does,
>
> OK, so I should include that character too...

Yes, please ...

> > > The second, most robust, implementation would be to create a special
> > > font with the wide characters <brace-under-1>, <brace-under-2>, ...
> > > and <brace-over-1>, <brace-over-2>, ... I suggest to create
> > > real bitmaps for each character.
> >
> > Exactly.  Then, each <brace-over-n> can map to
> >
> > \braceld\bracext...\bracext\braceru\bracelu\bracext...\bracext\bracerd
> >         <-------n/2------->                <-------n/2------->
> >
> > which is a simple, inert text string.
>
> Rather (n-1) instead of n/2.

Yes, I suppose so, since, in order to keep the brace symmetrical, if I
add a \bracext on one side, I must add one on the other side as well.

> > Honestly, I would like to try to avoid using bitmaps for these
> > characters.  This is why I would like to try the cmex characters first,
> > and only then, if they fail, would I like to try bitmaps.
>
> You *have* bitmaps for these characters and routines for gluing them.
> You *need* to produce bitmaps in order to get the anti-aliasing right
> (and prevent ugly grey vertical strokes).

OK - I understand.  For the beginning, however, I think I'm just going
to use the draw routine directly, until I figure out how to add custom
characters and such.