Re: [Texmacs-dev] Fonts

From: Norbert Nemec
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Fonts
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 18:37:25 +0200

Am Freitag, 24. Oktober 2003 18:11 schrieb Joris van der Hoeven:
> In the future, I plan to modernize the TeXmacs font system,
> so as to remove most of the above disadvantages. I also noticed that
> most TeX fonts are now available in TrueType format. This opens
> the road for removing the dependency on TeX.

Are you sure you about that? Do the Truetype fonts have the same quality? I'm
not an expert in typesetting, but I always thought, the TeX font system had
superiour capabilities when it comes to the fine details. Can Truetype fonts
capture all of that?

Of course, looking at the comfort of use, TrueType/Type1/OpenType (all handled
by freetype) would be by far the best thing to do. (Even more, when looking
at export features.)

--
______________________Norbert Nemec <address@hidden>

    Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany
    Institut für Theoretische Physik III
    Staudtstr. 7  ...  D-91058 Erlangen  ...  Room No. U1.526
    Tel: +49 9131 / 85-28816  ...  Mobile: +49 179 / 7475199