Re: [Texmacs-dev] Fonts

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Fonts
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 18:54:36 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Norbert Nemec wrote:
> Am Freitag, 24. Oktober 2003 18:11 schrieb Joris van der Hoeven:
> > In the future, I plan to modernize the TeXmacs font system,
> > so as to remove most of the above disadvantages. I also noticed that
> > most TeX fonts are now available in TrueType format. This opens
> > the road for removing the dependency on TeX.
>
> Are you sure you about that? Do the Truetype fonts have the same quality? I'm
> not an expert in typesetting, but I always thought, the TeX font system had
> superiour capabilities when it comes to the fine details. Can Truetype fonts
> capture all of that?

Probably not, but we will of course keep the old code which will
allow you to use the nicer fonts if you did install a TeX system.
The point is that a TeXmacs tarball for windows will probably
take about 5Mb, whereas MikTeX takes 250Mb...

Notice that I would also like to make a PDA version of TeXmacs
in the medium future. In that case we mainly need small fonts or
maybe allow the font system to always fall back on a closest font
in a fixed set. I think that we should try to let TeXmacs work on
PDA's with 64Mb of RAM. This should be feasable.