[Texmacs-dev] cygwin problems fixed

From: Amir Michail
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] cygwin problems fixed
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 11:47:27 +1100

Hi,

Here are the problems I encountered with installing texmacs under
cygwin and how I fixed them:

* I had MikTeX installed before and it was not clear whether TeXmacs
  would work with it; it didn't seem to due to font problems.

* I had some paths to nonexistent directories in env variables and
this caused url errors in texmacs (a more meaningful error message
would be helpful here)

* So I installed cygwin tex; fonts still didn't work

* So I uninstalled MikTex, but this still left an autoexec.bat file that
  set up some TeX env variables that confused TeXmacs

* It was not clear whether I should uninstall the windows version of
gs; eventually I ended up uninstalling this and also the non-X11 cygwin
version of gs (as the latter resulted in an error when showing images
in the TeXmacs doc)

In any case, everything is working now with TeXmacs.  Unfortunately, I
also need to use LyX and its image support broke after uninstalling
MikTeX...

Amir