Re: [Texmacs-dev] Publishing TeXmacs documents (was: Italic font display

From: bump
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Publishing TeXmacs documents (was: Italic font display with TeXmacs 1.0.4-R2)
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 13:14:26 -0700

> > The figures are made with Metapost and included TeX fonts. Of
> > course these were Type 3 fonts. They told me included Type 3
> > fonts in the figures are not a problem and ``we have no idea why.''
>
> They apparently care less about readability of fonts
> in pictures with Acrobat Reader.

The fonts in the figures seem to be the same high resolution
as the text. So this point seems mysterious.

I have the impression that the problematic program
is Adobe Distiller. I'm not completely clear on what happens
in the Springer production department. I think Adobe Acrobat,
Reader and Distiller are all broke for Type 3 fonts.

See:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/texmacs-dev/2003-06/msg00122.html

> Did you ask whether they would publish a native TeXmacs pdf
> if you would manage to get the fonts right? What style are
> you using? svmono? We should support this style soon.

No, I didn't ask because at this point in time (before
TeXmacs 1.0.3) this seemed impossible. But they didn't
object to the exported Postscript files until they
took a look and found the Type 3 fonts, so they were
at least willing to consider them.

Yes, the book used svmono.cls.

> This could be made an option too, when we have time...
> As to myself, I prefer to see the real letters:
> \c{c} seems a bit verbose to me for French c-cedillas.

But this can and does cause problems.

Dan