Re: [Texmacs-dev] Very slow reformat in large document.

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Very slow reformat in large document.
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 19:24:54 +0200

On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 12:39 +0200, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 09:43:36PM -0700, Karl Hegbloom wrote:
> > in re: Debian texmacs-1:1.0.5-2
> >
> > Over the last two terms, I've used TeXmacs to do Computer Science lab
> > writeups.  The document becomes very long, and has places where I use a
> > small font inside a \code inside a two-column layout, for programs and
> > output.  I don't know if that's where the slow-down is or not...
>
> As soon as you use two-column layout, footnotes or floating objects,
> be prepared to slow-downs on big documents.
>
> Simple text may be a bit slow on loading (if we are talking about
> hundreds of pages), but has been speeded up for editing.
>
> > There are also occasional problems with page layout, where it will break
> > a page in the middle, and put something on the next page that really
> > ought to fit on the one before it.  The one before it has a lot of blank
> > space at the bottom.
>
> Page breaking is global. You may locally have the impression that
> something better could be done, but run into global problems.

I have to disagree. Page breaking is buggy.

In some places, when using the the "filling page break" (not sure if its
name anymore) primitive it will try so hard to fill the last page before
the break that it will cause other pages to be severely underfull. The
situation is aggravated by the problems in float positioning.

I have been reporting problems in page breaking and float positioning
for years and I just gave up hoping they would be properly fixed. I
think also submitted some patches to help those problems, and god knows
that part of the code is totally hair-brained, and I think they were
never merged.

--
                                                            -- ddaa