[Texmacs-dev] Very slow reformat in large document.

From: Karl Hegbloom
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Very slow reformat in large document.
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 21:43:36 -0700

in re: Debian texmacs-1:1.0.5-2

Over the last two terms, I've used TeXmacs to do Computer Science lab
writeups.  The document becomes very long, and has places where I use a
small font inside a \code inside a two-column layout, for programs and
output.  I don't know if that's where the slow-down is or not...

When I am typing near the tail end of the document, TeXmacs response to
keystrokes is very sluggish.  I can easily out-type it.  Setting the
page breaking to "sloppy" makes it a bit faster, but it's still a little
too sluggish for my taste.

What occurs to me is that it must be scanning for the reformat from all
the way back at the start of the document, even though I have the
document page type set to "Paper" rather than "Papyrus".  Since the
preceding pages are already "shipped out", why should it need to scan
farther back than the top of the current page?  If it did not do so, it
would be much faster, wouldn't it?

There are also occasional problems with page layout, where it will break
a page in the middle, and put something on the next page that really
ought to fit on the one before it.  The one before it has a lot of blank
space at the bottom.

--
Karl Hegbloom <address@hidden>