Re: [Texmacs-dev] New REDUCE plugin (second try)

From: Andrey G. Grozin
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] New REDUCE plugin (second try)
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 23:17:37 +0700 (NOVST)

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Andreas Seidl wrote:
1. The things a user is required to do are not complicated. No patching of files, just compiling or downloading files, placing ist somewhere and changing some lines.

2. The user can now install the plugin without needing root access.
Hmm? Fixing stuff in $reduce/util requires being root.

3. The old solution for REDUCE 3.7 does not work for 3.8 anymore as far as I know, as the file that needs to be patched has changed meanwhile. So users with the new version have to upgrade to my plugin anyway (unless Andrey releases a version for 3.8 of the old solution). 3.7 users can upgrade as well to the new plugin.
No. I haven't done that. The new plugin is much better.

If the proposed plugin is not acceptable for inclusion into TeXmacs, I can offer it as 3rd party plugin on my webpage instead.
I am absolutely sure it should be included in the official TeXmacs distribution.

It would be good to write prominantly in README (or INSTALL or whatever) that
1. only reduce-3.8 is supported;

It should work for 3.7 as well.
Good. I didn't know this. I know some people still using 3.7.

2. if the user used the old reduce interface, it will suddenly stop working; and what to do to make it work again
IMO the user should simply install the new solution and cease to use the old one. The according TeXmacs release note should encourage the REDUCE user to read the installation instructions.
Well, yes. I just think that this should be written very PROMINANTLY somewhere. If a user upgrades TeXmacs and something breaks and [s]he does not know why, this is a bad situation.

Altogether I think we should just move to the new plugin, and see how people cope. If problems arise, I can always add details to the installation instruction, or make other changes.
I agree: we should move to the new plugin.

Thanks for the good work,
Andrey