Re: [Texmacs-dev] Drawing mode notes, vector diagrams, geometric constru

From: Alvaro Tejero Cantero
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Drawing mode notes, vector diagrams, geometric construction
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 15:27:21 +0100

Hello,

> Thus we need to add one more step in the rotation mode : mark
> the center (and then, we proceed as before, using a drag & drop
> to perform the rotation itself).

No, no no!!! please, use reasonable defaults and give then extra
possibilities to the advanced users. Otherwise, to rotate something
becomes tedious. The standard behaviour (see Inkscape) is:

1.- double click the object -> rotation mode
2.- either rotate it (use arrows at the corners) or
     change the rotation center by moving the crosshair in the middle

I think this is more convenient.

> >>I had the same idea, but I don't know exactly the length of this
> >>finer-grained movements (or perhaps should be proportional to the
> >>length of the wide-grained movements, let's say 10x finer than the
> >>usual movements ?).

In Inkscape the arrow keys give these small nudges, of 2px by default,
but configurable.
Also the rotation snap angle (when you rotate with ctrl simultaneously
pressed) is of 15degrees by default, but tunable. And "<" and ">"
scale by 2px.

I think all this things should be configurable, maybe the movements
should be so even through the GUI.

If you have a look at how things are done in Inkscape
(http://inkscape.org/) this would provide valuable insight: the
software is very user friendly and at the same time efficient when
used through the keyboard.

'A.