Re: [Texmacs-dev] CVS HEAD fails to compile

From: Norbert Nemec
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] CVS HEAD fails to compile
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 08:19:54 +0100

Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
It also contains this very suspicious code in
src/System/Misc/fast_alloc.cpp:

void*
safe_malloc (register size_t sz) {
  void* ptr= malloc (sz);
  if (ptr==NULL) {
    cerr << "Fatal error: out of memory\n";
    cout << 1/0 << "\n";
    exit (1);
  }
  return ptr;
}

the "cout << " line looks suspicious, probably a local debugging code
that was not meant to be committed? It was introduced with commit log:
 Fix bug concerning surroundings of GUI elements
and not e.g. "make sure we die with SIGFPE on out of memory".

I found this crude hack somewhere else in the code as well. It is supposed to be a way to kill the program with a signal which can be caught by a debugger. The proper way to do this would be:
   abort();
instead of:
   cout << 1/0 << "\n";
   exit(1);

The standard-C "abort" command is the preferred way to kill the program with SIGABRT.