[Texmacs-dev] XEmbed, TeXmacs and Toolkits

From: Juan Pablo Romero Méndez
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] XEmbed, TeXmacs and Toolkits
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 03:21:04 -0600

Have anyone seen this?

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards/xembed-spec

"XEmbed is a protocol that uses basic X mechanisms such as client
messages and reparenting windows to provide embedding of a control
from one application into another application."

I don't know how difficult would be for texmacs to support this
protocol (or if it already does), but in any case It could be good a
starting point for porting texmacs to other toolkits.

If texmacs could be started with only the main (document) window,
without any decorations at all, and provided hooks existed that could
be called from another process, it would be relatively easy to start a
"wrapper" application in some toolkit, say, Qt4, that implements the
GUI.

I'd say that much more people knows how to code in one of the usual
toolkits than in texmacs's. I personally would be glad to code some
dialogs, but right now I feel somewhat alienated by the lack of a tool
like gtk's glade or qt's designer.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

 Juan Pablo