Re: [Texmacs-dev] Why I hate TexMacs

From: bump
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Why I hate TexMacs
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 05:24:11 -0700

> What was format of your figures? EPS? PDF?
> And how did you print it ?

The figures were .eps files derived from metapost.
I ran the exported metapost postscript files
through a utility called mps2eps, actually
a shell script that you can find out on the
internet. It filters the files through dvips.

I exported a latex file because it needed to be in
Springer's svmono.cls format. This was in 2003. The final
version was produced at Springer NY so I don't
know exactly how it was printed but I think they
used pdftex from my source files.

One thing I did was to maintain a patch of
the exported latex so that if there is any
hand-editing of the latex file (e.g. conversion
to svmono.cls) this didn't have to be done
manually each time I changed the TeXmacs
original.

I've also had to work with collaborators on papers
in which I use metapost and they use latex. There
are issues with TeXmacs but generally I find that
the rewards exceed the costs, at least for me.

I think one thing that one could do that would
help TeXmacs would be to produce some videos
showing some of the tricks that you can do for
fast writing. Such videos exist for SAGE and
they might address one problem with TeXmacs,
which is that people new to it don't see how
powerful it is.

Dan