Re: [Texmacs-dev] Patches: copy/paste and selection handling.

From: Daniel Bump
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Patches: copy/paste and selection handling.
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 12:59:00 -0800

> My question to Emacs-mode users: Should the kill-ring simply be
> identical with the primary buffer as it is right now or is there a need
> for a separate mechanism?

In emacs the kill-ring contains not only the most recent
kill but previous ones also. In TeXmacs, I don't think
more than the most recent kill is saved. If you want
to access an earlier kill, you have to undo.

> a) the [delete] key should delete the text without touching the buffer.
> (This is what my patch intends to do)
> b) the [ctrl-k] keys should kill the text, i.e. put it into the buffer
> (the "cut" operation)

How would you bind [ctrl-w]? I would recommend not changing the
behavior of either [ctrl-k] or [ctrl-w], both of which cut
to the buffer. In practice, I seldom use the delete key, so
it would not bother me if it's behavior changed. But the only
case where you wanted to delete something without disturbing
the contents of the kill buffer would be if you kill something
you want to use later, then do some other operations before
you do the paste. I don't think this is how most people work.

Daniel Bump