Re: [Texmacs-dev] installing new texmacs versions with ubuntu

From: bytecolor
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] installing new texmacs versions with ubuntu
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 13:54:24 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I found the new version of texmacs here:
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/i386/texmacs/download

I tried adding the relevant entries into /etc/apt/sources.list and updated apt.
It crapped out, something about `keys'. I had no clue what the problem was so I
backed off.

If a packages is not available, I compile from source and install into my home
directory. I have full control over the installation.

I leave Ubuntu's package system alone. If it gets hosed (which I've done in the
past) I end up re-installing Ubuntu. And that's just unacceptable.

You can download the .deb package from the URL above (there is a texmacs-common
package too) and install it manually but, once again, you are circumventing
Ubuntu's package management system.

There is another way, there always is! I run the latest bleeding edge texmacs.
I grab it through svn, compile it and install it in $HOME. This is a rather
involved process which is mostly for developers.

Maybe one of the package maintainers will suggest something.

--
bytecolor (S. Edward Dolan)