Re: [Texmacs-dev] Embedded svg

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Embedded svg
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 13:11:19 +0100

Dear Sam,

On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 08:24:56AM -0000, Sam Liddicott wrote:
> I just realized how sweet svg would be if it could be scripted the same way
> the documents can.
>
> Texmacs needn't render the XML, just assemble it for rendering.
>
> I see the availability of more specialized diagramming tools can follow, more
> easily than for latex.

You are absolutely right. This was part of the goals of the graphics mode.
Unfortunately, the author of the graphics mode is no longer working on TeXmacs.
Since his style of programming was "quite personal", best would probably be
to completely redesign it.

Of course, up to some extent, this is independent from the mere rendering issue.
It would indeed be possible to write converters between the SVG primitives and
the TeXmacs graphics primitives (modulo a few extensions), just as we have
converters for Html and MathML. If you would be willing to help on this issue,
then that would be very nice.

Of course, if we want to make things really scriptable,
then we need a good graphics mode for designing such graphical macros.
Also, if we want to edit the pictures, then we probably need to update
the graphics mode.

Best wishes, --Joris