Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs -> HTML

From: Miguel de Benito Delgado
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs -> HTML
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 15:40:05 +0200

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 1:09 PM, François Poulain <address@hidden> wrote:
I think we should simply move to html5 export. It provides a <math> tag
allowing us to insert MathML (see e.g.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MathML#Embedding_MathML_in_HTML.2FXHTML_files
or https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/MathML/Element/math ).

Indeed. But I didn't suggest it because all I can take care of are the minor modifs I mentioned. Delving into the arcane depths of format conversion would just use up all of my little TeXmacs-time.

There some caveats (see e.g.
http://docs.mathjax.org/en/v1.1-latest/mathml.html#mathml-in-html-pages
) but it seems quite easy.

Good to hear that it seems easy ;)

There is also some specificities of html5, outside math support (like
article, or figure tags) which are interesting from the semantic point
of view. But, as a first step, we can expect than most used HTML4
features are straightforwardly upgradable to HTML5.

Actually all of them:

http://www.w3.org/TR/html5-diff/#backward-compatibility

So, to be precise, what we need to do is:

  1) Set the doctype to html5 for all html exports.

  2) Don't enforce xhtml for the document if MathML is selected as we now do.

  3) Fix usage of entities in mathml when using html output. Needed for some browsers as stated in the document you linked. http://docs.mathjax.org/en/v1.1-latest/mathml.html#mathml-in-html-pages

  4) Add the mathjax script to the header. This could be customizable (i.e. options: "Use MathJax CDN" and "Use custom MathJax installation")

I guess my suggestion of a single configuration option "texmacs->html:math" is then ok. It would have the values "html", "mathml", "image", "mathml+mathjax". HTML/XHTML export should be independent (at least to the user, since we have to fix MathML+HTML (step (3)).

I can take care of (1), (2) and (4) (hehe, sorry), leaving (3) as-is: output will work in decent browsers. Then someone can try tuning mathml output when destination format is not xhtml.