Re: [Texmacs-dev] Git extension for TeXmacs

From: Miguel de Benito Delgado
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Git extension for TeXmacs
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 13:19:22 +0100

Hi,

On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 8:37 AM, Darcy Shen <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi developers of TeXmacs:

    Currently, I'm working on a Git extension for TeXmacs. My code is on github: https://github.com/sadhen/dotTeXmacs
    I have implemented the basic functions of Git such as git add, git commit, git log, git diff ......

This is great! I haven't checked the code, did you follow what is the done for the current "Versioning tool?" If you implement the interfaces defined there (as the SVN extension does) and everything is robust we can have a look at it for addition to the repository.

    I am a Scheme newbie. Seriously, these code is the longest scheme code I have ever wrote. So the code would be in low quality. If anyone did this before, I would regard it as a toy. If not, I think I may try my best to polish it and make it support Windows. I don't have a MacOS environment, so I need help for MacOS support.

If nobody else jumps in, I could try some testing in a couple of weeks, not before, sorry.

    Also, my understanding of Git limits on the basics. Currently I use eval-system to get git command output and parse it. I google it around, and didn't find Git's scheme binding.

This is also what's done for SVN. I guess it was a design decision a long time ago not to use proper bindings but external tools whenever possible, so this is what we do. This causes a lot of headaches (e.g. with latest MacOS), but I suppose the alternative would as well.

As to the bindings, one would actually use the C bindings and export some simple interface to scheme using the "glue" (see src/src/Scheme/Glue)

    I hope one day git can be a built-in module like svn. Because Git is more popular, faster and easy to use than SVN(in my opinion).

Indeed.

Best,
--
Miguel de  Benito.