Re: [Texmacs-dev] arxiv-vanity

From: Massimiliano Gubinelli
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] arxiv-vanity
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2020 11:31:03 +0100

Hi Joris,

On 12. Feb 2020, at 05:00, TeXmacs <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Max,

On Sat, Feb 01, 2020 at 11:32:00PM +0100, Massimiliano Gubinelli wrote:
I???ve just discovered this:

https://www.arxiv-vanity.com

which uses a pipeline based on LaTeXml to convert arXiv paper in quite beautiful HTML pages (so that it is easier to read them on tablets or similar).

An example (one of my papers):

https://www.arxiv-vanity.com/papers/1812.04422/

Well, all my papers are converted to Html on my personal website and
they look fine to me.  You might wish to use another stylesheet if
that is what you are saying, but I don't see many issues with
the Html generation.  And of course we can import ArXiv papers
from LaTeX as well.  I am not quite sure what you are proposing,
precisely...

I was thinking in various directions (somewhat loosely related):

1) Their stylesheets are very nice and in particular they are “responsive”, that is adapt to various screen sizes (like reading on the phone). So we could imagine we “steal” their CSS to have better quality HTML output in TeXmacs.

2) TeXmacs could be even better than their pipeline for this particular task. I wonder if importing from arxiv in TeXmacs and then converting to HTML (with maybe some improved styling in their direction) would give a  better result than their LateXml based strategy.

3) When we produce HTML in TeXmacs one could use the strategy of MathJax to do typography in HTML/CSS, so without relying on MathML or images or MathJax. Since TeXmacs already computes the positioning of the boxes we could just output appropriate HTML to reproduce TeXmacs math typography. I’m quite impressed by the quality of HTML output nowadays. Seems that PDF could be replaced by HTML as output format.

Best
Max

Best wishes, --Joris