Re: [Texmacs-dev] graph editor

From: Massimiliano Gubinelli
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] graph editor
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 13:22:25 +0200

Hi Joris,

> On 18. May 2021, at 11:43, TeXmacs <texmacs@lix.polytechnique.fr> wrote:
>
> Hi Max,
>
> On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 08:02:12AM +0200, Massimiliano Gubinelli wrote:
>>> The question is whether TeXmacs would really be in its role here.
>>> This could be considered to be the job of plug-ins.
>>
>> It could. But then the question become if we want to provide a unified
>> mechanism to parse mathematical formulas, e.g. from the TeXmacs format to an
>> abstract form which could then used to create expression in some target
>> language  (scheme, mathemagix, Python, etc...) for evaluation.
>
> We already have such a mechanism.
> It is used by each plug-in that supports mathematical input.

Yes I know. But I do not understand how to manipulates with that mechanism
parts of the formulas which are strings "a+b". That is why I was thinking a
full parsing would be useful.

>> Thanks, I will give a look to the parsing support. I looked already in the
>> C++ code but I do not understand how to extract a syntax tree from the
>> parsing execution, it seems that it returns only whether the formula can be
>> parsed.
>
> We would need to add productions to the parser and our grammars.
> That is what I planned to do one day, when I would have time.

Well, somebody else could do it. :) It is not clear to me what would be a nice
API to implement. Do you have already some ideas/references?

Best
Max