Re: [Texmacs-dev] git & texmacs

From: Sebastian Miele
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] git & texmacs
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 12:18:30 +0200

Hi Massimiliano,

Massimiliano Gubinelli <m.gubinelli@gmail.com> writes:
> I've just found the following blog post on OCAML development which in
> part discuss the effect of their transition to github:
>
> https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/analyzing-contributions-to-the-ocaml-compiler-and-all-opam-packages/7854
>
> it adds some background to our discussion of moving some of the
> development of TeXmacs to a git-based workflow, possibly on github.

There may be an even cooler kid in town than all other current version
control system (including Git and Darcs): Pijul (https://pijul.com/), "a
sound and fast distributed version control system based on a
mathematical theory of asynchronous work."

It is still open how far the adoption of that system will be in the
(nearer) future.  But when it does get widespread adoption, it probably
is just superior.  Not the least, because it is based on a mathematical
theory that may be far more rewarding and fun to learn.

Maybe Joris is hesitant to switch to Git, because he does not want to
spend the time to learn it.  And that I would find a very good reason.
It is just tedious and boring, and takes a considerable amount of time
from a valuable life.  That may be completely different with Pijul.  The
time spent learning may be more of a time spend in enlightening and
general insights about the core problem at hand.  Contrary to (a lot of)
time spent on many details of yet another half-baked solution.

However, it remains to be seen how far the adoption will be in the
(nearer) future.

Best wishes
Sebastian