Re: [Texmacs-dev] git & texmacs

From: Sebastian Miele
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] git & texmacs
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 10:06:36 +0200

Massimiliano Gubinelli <m.gubinelli@gmail.com> writes:

> > On 19. May 2021, at 23:00, Giovanni Piredda <pireddag@posteo.de> wrote:
> >
> > Am 19.05.2021 um 10:58 schrieb Massimiliano Gubinelli:
> > > it adds some background to our discussion of moving some of the
> > > development of TeXmacs to a git-based workflow, possibly on github.
> >
> > The development of free software on github leaves me uneasy.
> >
> > I see the draw that the platform has on many people and the
> > consequent benefit for each project (general feeling in addition to
> > the graph in the first post of the linked ocaml discussion thread);
> > on the other hand it is delegating part of the organization of the
> > project to a commercial enterprise.
> >
> > Mixing of things done "for free" and commercial work can be seen as
> > healthy (e.g. GNU license)---I by and large agree with that; I do
> > not like integration and delegation. The very great success of
> > delegation-integration (see e.g. Q&A sites and social networks)
> > brings consequent benefits for each user (organized access to the
> > knowledge and the energy of others), but I am not yet convinced that
> > one should follow up.
>
> you are right and this considerations has indeed to be done. I do not
> have strong opinions about it but moving all the development to github
> it is maybe something we do not want to do.
>
> We could keep the project on savannah (which can use either git or
> svn) and continue to use the savannah's bug tracker. I'm not sure
> savannah accepts pull requests from outsiders, we should check. If PR
> on savannah are not possible then we could still have a presence on
> github to collect PR and propagate them to savannah. In this way we
> remain essentially independent from github.

For the case that Savannah is not featureful enough, the FSF is in the
process of providing another alternative to commercial forges.  See,
e.g., [1] and [2], although I do not know in how far that represents the
most recent state of affairs.  However, it almost certainly will be
something more featureful than Savannah.

Apart from that there already are other alternative forges that may be
better suited.  See, e.g., [3], which among others lists
https://sourcehut.org/ and https://codeberg.org/.

[1]
https://www.fsf.org/blogs/sysadmin/coming-soon-a-new-site-for-fully-free-collaboration
[2] https://libreplanet.org/wiki/FSF_2020_forge_evaluation