Re: [Texmacs-dev] desiderata, following

From: Giovanni Piredda
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] desiderata, following
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 13:15:21 +0000

Am 12.06.2021 um 01:55 schrieb vincent douce via Texmacs-dev:

well, of course, it is maybe a pure personal wish : but, i would like to say, if one can think it shouldn't be a implemented by default because fits only for Vincent, then i would answer that the ability to create an objet and to record it under a name, and the possibility, then, in any future .tm doc, to open this object with a syntax of the form \myobject : that would be a great step for the ability given to the user to customize easily TeXlacs without deep knowledge of Scheme.

This already exists, although in a different form to what you have in mind and it involves one step more with respect to your wish.

For reference: https://www.texmacs.org/tmweb/manual/webman-style.en.html, paragraph starting with "By combining the above constructs". Referring to that, the difference is that you need to figure out yourself what are the variables in the macro.

I think a part what you have in mind (place an object in the document, which corresponds in the language of the TeXmacs format to "place a subtree in the buffer") is also possible, but it also takes a bit of programming, so it is not as automated as you wish. I never tried to do this "properly" (I tried using macros, but Joris and Massimiliano told me that is not the way to do it).

For your a) I can try writing a macro (and post it in the forum, where we can have a longer discussion).

For your b) I have the feeling that a macro would be ok (if you want to write in all cells, you need as many variables) but an "object to throw into the buffer" could also good, and perhaps there are ways to do this that I do not see. I have written a macro, posted in the forum at http://forum.texmacs.cn/t/a-table-macro-from-texmacs-dev/471, where maybe we can discuss more.

For your c) is it with a fixed number of rows or with an arbitrary number of rows?

Said this, the details on how to do these things we could probably discuss either on the forum or on the texmacs-user mailing list, but also the strategy is a useful discussion in my opinion, good for here maybe (Is a visual macro composition possible for "objects to throw into buffers"? Are there downsides?). Does anyone have any opinions on this topic?